What is PrEP?
HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is a once-a-day medication for people who do not have HIV, to reduce their risk of becoming infected with HIV. It is recommended that PrEP is taken every day to effectively reduce the risk. See our PrEP Fact Sheet for more detailed information.
PrEP at Melbourne Sexual Health Centre
- Melbourne Sexual Health Centre runs 4 appointment-only PrEP clinics each week (Wednesday and Thursday only)
- PrEP is not available via the walk in and wait service
- Clients must have a valid Medicare card to access the PrEP appointment service
- Demand is high and appointments are often booked out 6-8 weeks in advance. Short notice changes to appointments can be difficult.
- If you are interested in accessing PrEP at our clinic, sign up to the Melbourne Sexual Health Centre PrEP waiting list
- If the above restrictions do not suit you, doctors at General Practice clinics can also prescribe PrEP. See PrEP Access Now or PrEP'd for Change to find an alternative doctor.
Where else can I access PrEP?
PrEP can be prescribed by any GP. However, as this is a new treatment some GPs may be unfamiliar with it and reluctant to prescribe it.
Check with your health care provider that they can provide this service when you make an appointment and for your first visit we suggest booking a long appointment.
See PrEP Access Now PrEP'd for Change to find a doctor. Our Other Health Services also lists various clinics in Melbourne which we know are familiar with prescribing PrEP.
Where can I buy the PrEP medication?
All retail pharmacies are able to dispense PrEP medication; however, some pharmacies may need to order the medication, which may take a few days.
How much does PrEP medication cost?
PrEP is now listed on the Australia Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), this means that the cost of the medication is subsidised by Medicare and a standard co-payment is made at the time of purchase.
- General patients will be charged $39.50 for 30-day supply.
- Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card holders will pay a PBS co-payment of $6.40 for 30-days’ supply of PrEP
10 things to know about taking PrEP